Hitchin Priory

  • Street outside the priory

  • Half-timbered sixteenth century house near priory

  • Copy of the surrender document, dated 17 Oct 1538 and signed by the community

  • The prior, John Butler, and community consign the property to the king, 17 Oct 1538

  • Early drawing (17th cent) of the priory after its conversion to a country house

  • The house as it appeared in 1861

  • The entrance to the priory today (2007)

  • The entrance with the main house behind

  • Blue badge (the priory was suppressed in 1538 and rented for use as a school by Ralph Radcliffe)

  • Medieval remains in the south block of the cloister

1 of 10