The Carmelite Communications & Outreach Office (formerly called Projects & Publications) was established in 2003 as part of the Office of the Prior Provincial of the British Province.
The Office is administered by Dr. Johan Bergström-Allen, T.O.C., a member of the Carmelite Third Order Secular, who is employed by the British Province as its Communications & Outreach Manager.
Johan Bergström-Allen, T.O.C.
Carmelite Communications & Outreach Manager
The Communications & Outreach Manager has a number of roles, including:
- Organising special events and commemorations, such as
- Book and resources production, including the oversight of Saint Albert's Press and its Distribution Office in Faversham, Kent
- Facilitating communication in the Province (such as through maintaining the annual Directory, Ordo, website and social media)
- Promoting the spirituality and heritage of the Order to the wider public (for example through exhibitions, presentations, broadcasting, prayer events, ecumenical projects, justice and peace work, assisting in vocations promotion, etc.)
Contributing to academic and heritage initiatives, such as:
- The Carmelite Institute of Britain & Ireland (CIBI) as a tutor and founding Board member
- The Centre for the Study of Christianity and Culture
- Conferences including the annual International Medieval Congress at Leeds
- The Ebor Lectures on Theology & Public Life as a member of the organising committee
- Coordinating pilgrimages, including the annual Province pilgrimage to Lourdes
- Supporting the various ministries and communities of the Province, as requested by the Prior Provincial
Johan with Carmelite friars visiting York.
Through various activities the Communications & Outreach Office is also involved in the faith life of the city of York, including the Taste and See spirituality days, the Monks of Micklegate exhibition, Quiet Days at Thicket Priory, and the heritage development of The Bar Convent. Johan has an interest in broadcasting and social media, appearing regularly on BBC Radio York, serving as a trustee of the charity Christians in Communication, and serving on the Communications Team of Middlesbrough Diocese. Johan is very interested in ecumenism, serving as Chair of Churches Together in York.
Left: Johan with the Carmelite Prior General.
Right: Johan after preaching in York Minster in 2012.
In addition to his work for the Province, Johan is personally involved in the development of Lay Carmel and convenes Carmelite Spirituality Groups in York,. He is a member of the National Council of the Carmelite Third Order (Secular), and is a member of the editorial board of Carmel in the World magazine.
Johan is involved in various forms of pastoral outreach to welcome and support members of the LGBT community in the Church, including the Middlesbrough Diocese LGBT+ Outreach Ministry. Johan is an Honorary Guardian of the Shrine of Our Lady of Doncaster. He is a patron of a small charity called The Living By Giving Trust which works in a diverse range of projects alleviating suffering and promoting human development.
Johan giving a talk during the visit of the relics of St. Thérèse in 2009.
Johan is a graduate of the Universities of York, Oxford, and Lausanne (where he completed a doctorate in medieval Carmelite literature). Johan is a fellow of the Order's research academy in Rome, the Institutum Carmelitanum, an Honorary Research Fellow in the Department of History at the University of York, a Member of the Royal Historical Society, and an Associate Member of the Institute of Medieval Studies at the University of Leeds. Johan has written a number of articles (some of which are available by clicking here) and edited books on Carmelite history and spirituality, and has served as book reviews editor of the Order's academic journal Carmelus.
Johan on a visit to the University of Lausanne
Dr. Johan Bergström-Allen, T.O.C.
Carmelite Communications & Outreach
Tel. +44 (0)1904 411521
Personal Assistant - Mrs. Sue Parkes
Tel. +44 (0)7450 656756