York Whitefriars

More House Chaplaincy & Carmelite CommunityIn 1995 the British Province of Carmelites accepted the invitation of the Bishop of Middlesbrough Diocese to establish a community and to take on the pastoral care of the Catholic Chaplaincy to The University of York. That year the friars moved to More House, the Catholic Chaplaincy building in the village of Heslington, south-east of York city centre.
 
 
More House signThe move to the City of York marked the restoration of our presence where there had first been a community of Carmelite Friars from 1250 - 1538. In the Middle Ages the York priory (in the Hungate area of the city) was one of the four administrative and educational centres of the Order in England. The last known friar in the City was George Rayner who died for his faith in York Castle around the year 1600.
 
 

Carmelite Street bears testimony to the Carmelite Family's
presence in York since 1250.
 
At the University of York Carmelites make up the Catholic Chaplaincy team, working as a part of a broader Ecumenical Chaplaincy.

The Ecumenical Chaplaincy Team at the University of York (left-right):
Fr. Antony Lester, O.Carm.; Br. Gerard Walsh, O.Carm.;
Revd. Rory Dalgliesh (Methodist); Revd. Rowan Williams (Anglican)

Carmelites also provide the Catholic Chaplaincy as part of the Ecumenical Chaplaincy at York District Hospital.
 

Like their forbears the Carmelites are very active in the life of the city especially in the area of education, including at the University of York and the University of York St John.

More House has a large garden where the friars maintain some bee-hives.


Carmelite friars on the city walls of York.
As well as working closely with local Catholic parishes, and religious communities such as The Bar Convent, the Carmelites in York have strong ecumenical and interfaith contacts. In conjunction with York Minster and other partners, the British Province of Carmelites co-sponsors the Ebor Lectures on Theology and Public Life.
 
Statue of Ven. John of Saint-Samson at More House entrance Statue of Ven. John of Saint-Samson at More House entrance
 
At the entrance to More House is a statue of the Carmelite friar
Venerable John of Saint-Samson. At the rear is a beautiful garden.
 
Whitefriars York houses the Communications & Outreach Office of the British Province, which  helps to promote Carmelite spirituality, history and ministry, and which incorporates the Province's publishing house, Saint Albert's Press. Through various events, including the Taste and See spirituality days and the Monks of Micklegate exhibition in Holy Trinity Micklegate, the Communications & Outreach Office is also involved in the faith life of the city.
 
University students and staff at prayer in More House chapel.
 
University students and staff at the Graduation Mass, June 2010.
 
As well as the community of friars, York is also home to a community of Corpus Christi Carmelite Sisters, a Carmelite Spirituality Group, and a nearby community of Discalced Carmelite nuns at Thicket Priory. All these expressions of the Carmelite charism live and work in very close collaboration.
 

Members of the Carmelite Family gathered at York Minster
during the visit of the relics of Saint Thérèse of Lisieux on 1st October 2009.
 
 
 
Directions and times of worship
For directions to More House and information on prayer times (in PDF format) please click here, and see the map and list of any forthcoming public events below.
 
 
 
 

Address: 

Whitefriars
More House
Heslington
York
North Yorkshire
YO10 5DX

Telephone: 

01904 410446