On Sunday 13th August the Carmelite community at Aylesford Priory, Kent, celebrated the transferred Solemnity of The Assumption of Our Lady. The main shrine at Aylesford was dedicated to Our Lady of the Assumption after the return of the Carmelites to their ancient home in 1949. The Carmelites built the new shrine on the site of the medieval church that was dissolved at the Reformation; that medieval church had also been dedicated to the Assumption of the Glorious Virgin Mary in 1248.
Since the re-establishment of the priory, the Solemnity of the Assumption has become a day of pilgrimage for people who are sick. Nearly six hundred pilgrims came to Aylesford for the Pilgrimage of the Sick, many of them part of the annual pilgrimage of the Society of Our Lady of Lourdes, which accompanies the sick and disabled to Lourdes and Aylesford every year.
Mass was celebrated by the new Prior, Fr. Francis Kemsley, O.Carm., assisted by Fr. Michael Cox, O.Carm. At the end of the Eucharist, the Sacrament of the Sick was celebrated.
Fr. Francis anointing pilgrims with Oil of the Sick.
Fathers Michael and Francis presiding at Mass.
At Aylesford it is the tradition for clergy to wear blue vestments on major feast days of Our Lady, which looked particularly striking in the beautiful summer sunshine.
Source: Aylesford Priory